Monday, April 20, 2009

Find a job you like...


...and you'll never work another day in your life. Recently, I've been spending most of my time trying to bend and fold time - it's not as easy as it sounds.

Monday through Friday morning trying to grunt the time to go by faster, just to get to the weekend. Then from Friday night through Sunday, trying to backspin the Earth enough to slow time down. What I'm noticing is that overall, time seems to be going by faster than ever.

I know they say as you get older, the time (years) seems to go by faster and amazingly it's true. However, I'm not so sure that it's the perception based on the beholder's age, but rather their state of mind.

Time flies when you're having fun, but sometimes accelerates out of control when you aren't. Yes, I'm approaching 40, but that doesn't really bother me. What does, is that I've been unfulfilled with my career accomplishments for quite a while. Don't get me wrong, I'm good at what I do, I make a good living and have helped grow revenue for all of the companies that have employed me. But, it isn't what I've WANTed to do.

I want to build something. I want to live and die (benefit or suffer) because of the business decisions I make. I started as an entrepreneur back in '94 and have been trying to get back to it since '97. Because of that beginning, every company I've worked for has benefited from my treating them as if they were my own. Their budget as if it came out of my own pocket. The revenue as if it meant whether my kids would eat. The direction as my future depended on it.

What I've had to deal with though is road blocks from other opinions, vetoes, and watching my efforts and hard work pay off into the pocket of someone else. It's not just about money, but security, independence and leaving something for my family (maybe that is the age talking).

Well, I'm at the point where I have a few irons in the fire but 'in this economy' (as they say - now hating that cliche) do you walk away from the security of the paycheck and health coverage? The better my compensation, the harder it is to walk away and less satisfied I become. (I know there are many without jobs right now, but this is simply my story - everyone has one)

Reading spot-on blogs like this one from Lisa Barone, Outspoken Media, just makes me want to stop strangers in the street and ask them to give me a swift kick in the ass.

Fear sucks! Pull the damn trigger already (or quit bitching).

No comments: